You know when you go to the market, see something and think I’M GOING TO BUY IT but then realize you don’t know what you’re going to cook with it, let alone if you’ll have time.
Yeah so I saw Camel and Wild Boar and John Cesters at Prahran Market a few weeks back and had to get some (camel later).
500g Wild Boar (Diced)
100g diced pancetta(rind removed)
1 brown onion finely chopped
2 large carrots finely chopped
2 celery sticks finely chopped
1L Vegetable stock(if you’re using pre-purchased stock infuse thyme, rosemary and parsley for 20 minutes on a low heat)
1 bottle dry white wine
800g cherry tomatoes
1. In a heavy based pan sweat off the onion, carrots and celery in olive oil over a low heat until they become translucent(very soft), don’t allow them to get any colour. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. In the same pan brown the boar and season with salt. Once browned well set aside.
3. add the pancetta and cook until the fat begins to render, set aside.
4. Deglaze the pan with the white wine and reduce.
5. Add the sofritto(celery, onion, carrot), boar and pancetta. Add the stock and simmer gently on a low heat for 3-4 hours.
6. In a separate pan, heat some olive oil and add the cherry tomatoes until they begin to break down. Add to the other pan and fold in. Continue to simmer for another hour.
7. That’s it! Serve with parpadelle and some good Parmesan cheese.