Consomme is one of those dishes that is a pain to make but is really worth it. That wonderful golden clear broth just screams enjoyment. You can make this with pretty much anything you want, but oxtail provided not only a rich soup but also some beautiful meat to be made into a braun.
2kg ox tail
carrots, onions, celery chopped
1/2 cup sherry.
Thyme, parsley, peppercorns.
Enoki mushrooms and micro herbs(yeah I know).
For the clarification: 500g chicken mince, celery, carrots, onion, 3 egg whites.
1. Start the stock by browning off the oxtail, carrots, onion and celery. Deglaze with dry sherry.
2. Fill an electric slow cooker with the meat and vegetable mix, add the herbs and pepper corns, cover with cold water.
3. Run the slow cooker on low over night. Skim constantly.
4. Allow the stock to cool to room temp and strain. discard the vegetables and pick the meat off the oxtail bones.
5. Return the strained stock to the pot. Combine the chicken mince, celery, carrots, onion and egg whites. Whisk well and add to the pot.
6. Bring to a near boil for 20 mins. Remove the “boat” and strain the liquid again. BANG you’ve just removed all the shit from the stock and made consomme.
7. Add the picked meat to a cylindical dish (like a big smoothie cup), fill with some of hte consomme. There should be enough natural jelly in the consomme to set it. If not, add some gelatin.
8. Place the meat into the fridge over night.
9. To serve reheat the consomme stock.
10. In a bowl add a slice of the oxtail braun, dress with microherbs, enoki mushrooms and truffles.
11. Pour over the consomme and well there you go.