If you haven’t had Spätzle you haven’t lived. They are for real one of the most comforting delicious things the Germans have produced (yes even along with Haxe, Bratwurst and Leberkase). I’ve never tried to make these before, and have only ever had them out. In Switzerland I remember we used to be able to buy them at markets and they were the shit.
The truth. They’re pretty bloody easy to make.
3 cups of plain flour
6 whole eggs
1 tsp salt
touch of nutmeg and pepper.
1. Put everything into a bowl so it looks pretty.
2.Legit just mix everything together into a batter.
3. Start a pot of salted boiling water and grab a sieve with a wide guage. I’m talking the ones that usually come with your pot.
4. Working in small batches, add some of the batter to the seive and push it through the holes into the hot water. VOILA this gives you the noodle shape.
(Yeah look I couldn’t get a photo of this because there’s steam and stick hands and yep. )
5. Allow the noodles to cook in the water for about 5 minutes, then remove and refresh in cold water. (This just stops them overcooking while you work in batches.
6. Once you’ve made the noodles, add them to a pan with a little butter… OR if you’ve made schnitzels (you should have made schnitzels), add the noodles to the pan you’ve just cooked the schnitzels in.
7. Cook until they get some colour Is real nice. Serve with something delicious like schnitzel and a sauce, or Goulash (as below).