OK, so basically when I’m doing a dessert for a degustation it has to accomplish a few things.
- Ability to be consumed after 6 plus previous courses – everyone is nearly dead by this time.
- Easy to make, I’m both drunk and exhausted after 3 hours of entertaining.
- Be interesting, hey you get 6 courses of savoury and just one of dessert. (hey good point).
Doing a melange of a few things tends to achieve this, and was put together after about 20 lageritas at 2am.
- Torched Fluff – buy fluff, use a hot spoon to place it on the plate and use a blow torch to um torch it. Easy. Alternatively make Italian meringue.
- Poached pear. Simple. Start a liquor of white wine, water, sugar and pear skins(these have all the flavour.. the precious). Add the pears and poach for 25 mins on a very low simmer. Allow to cool completely and leave in liquor. When ready to serve simple cut off a pear cheek. DONE! Also you can reduce the liquor to make a sauce.
- Powdered meringue. Make meringue, make sure its completely dried out. Go UFC on it and pound it. Done.
- Salted Caramel popcorn. Pop unsalted popcorn. Make caramel. Add sea salt flakes. Combine all of these. Yes.
- Southern Bay Brewing Ice Cream. Ok so i chose this because they make a killer porter that goes well with tim tams. Either buy really good ice cream or make it yourself. Add the porter until it becomes portery. You don’t want it being drunken ice cream you just want it to take on the coffee and caramel notes.