You’ve been here. I know you have. Long day at work. You’re already completely wrecked and your eyes hurt. It’s 8pm and you’re leaving work thinking yeah toast or cereal for dinner* Come one, It’s Monday and you’re already giving up. I only require twenty minutes of your time. Do the following.
1 medium sized chicken breast*
Long grain rice
Handful of spring onions
thumb of ginger
4 garlic cloves
Star anise, cloves
One large shallot
A handful of your favourite asian vegetable *note chips are not a vegetable you hobo
One chicken stock cube – What? Marco Pierre White uses them… YOLO
Step 1 to dinner enlightenment.
In a large…ish pot add these
- 1 litre of water
- Chicken breast
- Ginger, garlic and shalots peele and cut into large pieces (Ya’ll gotta fish these out later.)
- The green bits from the spring onions
- stock cube, star anise and clove
Step 2 to dinner delight
- Put on a medium heat, after 5 minutes add the rice.
Step 3 to chicken fun
- 15 minutes longer and you’re on your 5th beer. Turn the heat off.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Strain the rice but keep the liquid. Pick out all the aromatics we added.
- Return the rice to the pan and heat for 2-3 minutes or until it’s dried out a lil bit.
Step 4 to Chairman Chow
- In a hot pan add sesame oil and lightly cook off your veg.
To serve.: Chop chicken, serve with rice and veg and cute bowl of the cooking liquid.
OH and make this. Equal amounts soy, sesame oil, and white vinegar with a heap of chopped spring onion and chilli. Serve this on your chicken.
So that is a 20 minute version of Hainanese chicken rice. It is no way as wonderful as the real version which takes a good two days to prep but hey, its like 9pm by now and you’re in a food coma on your leather couch watching CO
*Disclaimer: Cereal is an every time meal. Cold milk, crisp cereal. It’s the cheapest drug around. Do try it late at night in a three piece suit with a face that says “i don’t give a fuck”
*This means a non franken chicken breast. Yes this means splashing some extra cash for an organic free range chicken boob. Deal with it.