Here’s some advice. If you get the chance to grow a ridiculous moustache, do it. Movember is that month of the year that every man and some women decide to grow a mo for charity. It work we’re all about any excuse to have some fun, so when i was asked to help out with Movember i knew that something was getting put in the woodfired oven. We kicked off the month with a bake sale raising voer $600 and then decided that a Taco Day would be a great way to raise money and be a change from the usual sausage sizzle. On a reasonably warm friday we managed to raise over $700 taking our team tally to over $6,000!
25kg of Pork shoulder and neck.
500g dry rub (equal salt, chilli, cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder)
Shredded red cabbages
potatoes finely sliced.
Crema : sour cream seasoned with salt and lime juice.
500ml white vinegar
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup chilli flakes
1 can tomatoes
1. Dry rub the pork and allow to marinate for two days.
3. Place in a woodfired oven/normal oven on a high heat for 1 hour, cover and then allow to slow cook for 12-14 hours. If you’re using a woodfired oven, add soaked woodchips and close the door to give the meat some epic smokeyness.
4. When cooked shred with forks and allow to cool.
5. For the potato taco’s, simply cook thin slices of the potato on a hot grill.
6. For the hot sauce, combine all ingredients in a pot and boil for 20 minutes. Blend well.
7. To serve either take some pulled pork or potato (or both?), add shredded cabbage, crema and hot sauce in a soft shelled tortilla.