Recently i had a few of my mates around for on of our usual Saturday Night get togethers, that consists mostly of good food, cold beers and great company. For some reason this time it was american themed.
4 racks of baby back ribs
3 large onions chopped finely
100ml liquid smoke
4 large chillies chopped
4. 5 cloves garlic
1 cup mollases/dark sugar
2L beef stock
1kg Bacon bones
1. Place the ribs in a large baking dish, add all other ingredients (top with water to cover the ribs).
2. Cover and place in a 180 degree oven for 2 hours.
3. Remove from the oven, allow to cool and then allow to set in the fridge overnight.
3. Remove the fat that has set on top of the dish and remove the ribs.
4. Seperate the individual ribs with a knife
5. Strain the liquid in the baking dish and place on the stove to reduce.
6. BBQ the ribs and baste with the cooking liquid.
New York Dogs
24 cocktail franks
24 easybake rolls(yes the ones from woolies)
1 large brown onion chopped finely
3 large pickles (like NY big) chopped finely
1. Carefully remove the skins from the cocktail franks.
2. Place the franks in a pot of cold water and gently bring to a simmer.
3. Beat the eggs with some milk and brush over the rolls.
4 Place in a hot oven for 10 minutes, re apply egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
5. Remove from the oven and cut lengthways.
6. Pop in a cocktail frank and top with onion, pickles, tomato sauce and mustard.
8 Corn corbs cut in half.
Jalapeno Mayp (available from USA foods, use kewpie mayo if you can’t get it. )
200g Mexican Cheese grated (queso queso and Manchego) Head down to Costco and pick up the mexican cheese mix if you can’t get these two.
Equal quantities of
Cucumber, red peppers, green peppers, red onions, canned tomatoes and red chillies.
White vinegar, white sugar, Hot Water.
1. Finely chop all of the vegetables (remove the seeds from the cucumbers.
2. Place in a large bowl/tub.
3. For about 1kg of veg add 1 cup of Hot water, 3 tbsp white sugar and 1/2 cup vinegar.
4. Cover and allow to salsify for about a week in the fridge.
5. Remove excess liquid and season if necessary.
500g scotch fillet steak.
1 green pepper sliced thinly lengtheways
1 Red Onion sliced thinly lentheways
400g provolone cheese (or use the same cheese mix from Corn recipe)
10 easybake rolls prepared in the same manner as the Hot Dogs (see above)
1. Finely slice the meat into think steaks
2. Using a rolling pin tenderise the steaks until they are very thin.
3. In a hot dry pan, cook the steaks for about one minute, turn over and add some onion, peppers and cheese.
4. Place the pan in the over for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts.
5. Serve in one of the baked rolls.
A few other treats we had.