In my last few semesters at uni, the lecturers tended to move away from the “get the best marks and you will get a job” to more of a ‘its not what you know but who you know’ kind of attitude. And yes networking in my final year has really been a focus, grades not so much. Although i always knew that a combination of good marks and industry contacts would be a better combination. Before i start to waffle, i landed a job in the Yarra Valley a few months ago through my pal Meisy and it has turned out to be my dream job. What better way to thank Meisy than with her favorite meat. Pork. This recipe isn’t going to win any Heart Tick Approvals but is delicious and great with some rice and Green Papaya Salad.
1 Pork Belly (any bones removed)
1/2 cup coarse salt
5 star anise
2 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp chinese 5 spice
2 tbsp chilli flakes
2 tbsp garlic powder
1kg Duck Fat (eui vey)
2. Dry rub the pork belly, place in a large dish and leave in the fridge overnight to lightly cure.
3. Melt the duck fat in a large roasting dish.
3. Whipe the spices and salt mix off the pork and add to the duck fat skin side up.
4. Place in a 150 degree oven for 3-4 hours.
5. Allow to cool then place in the fridge to set overnight.
6. Remove from the duck fat and scrape any excess off. Place in a baking dish and bake at 180 degrees for 40 minutes or until the skin is golden.
7. Serve with fresh greens or a Green Papaya Salad.