When it comes to my little sister, and well anyone in my family i’m a complete push over. Even though she’s in her 20’s now I still think of my baby sister as that, a baby. So when she woke up one morning feeling unwell with a sore throat and as usual i asked “Lulu, is there anything i can get you?” She responded knowing full well that even if she asked for pheasant under glass i would oblige her. “Alphabet soup cha”. All i could think of was packet soup alphabet soup, but knowing full well that powdered soup would not be the same as a homemade broth i came up with this very simple recipe for alphabet soup. I dont care how old you are, writing rude words in pasta letters never gets old.
2 Chicken carcases (skin/excess fat removed
1 onion peeled
2 carrots trimmed
1 carrot grated and chopped
1 celery stick grated and chopped
2 celery stalks including tops
1/2 cup alphabet pasta
1. For the stock throw everything in a pot and cover with 3-4 litres of cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 hours minimum
2. Strain the liquid into a bowl and throw it in the fridge over night.
3. Remove the fat from the soup with a spoon and transfer to a clean pot. Heat the broth and season with salt and pepper.
4. Once boiling. Add the pasta, grated carrot and grated celery.
5. Boil for 2-3 minutes and serve.