This is a rather decadent cake that i made for my partners 22nd Birthday last week. Although it is about a foot tall and served 25 it is a very simple cake to make and can be made to suit any size. The Following recipe is for a single tier sponge (aka a third of the size of the specimen in the video)
The Sponge (per sponge)
150g caster sugar
50g plain flour
50g corn flour
50g self raising flour
1. Beat the caster sugar and eggs until it becomes deliciously creamy
2. Sift in the flours and mix well.
3. Pour into a lined baking tin and bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees. (simple? i know right?)
(this jelly is very delicate and is almost like a very light paste. If you want a firm jelly add more gelatin and water. )
3 large pieces of orange peel
2 tsp gelatin
1. Place the dates in a pot with the orange peel, cover with water. Simmer for 20 minutes
2. Blend with a barmix until it forms a smooth paste
3. Pass through a fine seive to remove lumps.
4. Add gelatin (mixed with some hot water.
5. Pour into two cake tins lined with glad wrap. Set overnight.
Cottage Cheese Icing
100ml light cream
200g light cottage cheese
300g icing sugar
tsp vanilla extract
1. Beat the cream with the icing sugar until it is very stiff (almost overbeaten)
2. add the cottage cheese and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Pass through a fine sieve
Layer the sponge with the Date jelly and some whipped cream. Pour over the cottage cheese icing and garnish with lavender petals. Set in the fridge for two hours to let the icing set (somewhat)