Why i chose to do a Politics major to complement a Marketing major i will never understand, but invariably every politics class results in us talking about the middle east peace process or lack there of. You know that never ending battle between Israel and… well. everyone else in the region? There never seems to be any progress in the process, however i believe if both sides started looking at their similarities they may just be able to get along. Take Hummus, no not the militant organisation, the delicious dip – both sides agree that it is delicious. Problem solved.
Hummus is an amazing versatile dip, it can be served with pita bread, as a base for a Middle Eastern/North African dish or added to a hearty breakfast of eggs.
400g dried chickpeas
3 cloves garlic
juice of two lemons
1/3 cup toasted cumin (cumin seed toasted in a dry pan for a few minutes)
salt to taste
Steps in the peace, i mean dip process.
1. Soak the chickpeas over night and then drain and boil in unsalted water for 1 hour.
2. Drain the cooked chickpeas and add to a blender with the chopped garlic
3. Add about 1/2 cup of hot water(from the chickpea cooking process) and blend until it starts to become a paste
4. Add the tahini and blend.
5. Add the lemon juice and cumin and blend further
6. If the hummus is a little thick add some more hot water and blend until it is a smooth paste. Season to taste and serve however you want to. This stuff will last about a week.
Follow us on Facebook.