You know when you see something on online shopping and no matter how many times you think to yourself “i’m really never going to use that abmaster 9000 – i should buy one immediately”. That happened with my waffle cone maker, for how cheap it was my skewed logic thought i was pretty making money for that price. Needless to say i have never used it, until last week. I’m not religious in anyway yet Good Friday we conform to the tradition of eating seafood and well hey who am i to complain?
This is a recipe i’ve been thinking about for ages and finally with an excuse to make waffle cones i gave it a shot. They are a fantastic finger food and definately turn heads.
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 cup -1 cup milk
1 cup marscapone cheese
200gm smoked trout or salmon
1/4 cup fresh dill chopped
1/4 cup chopped capers
half a preserved lemon, cleaned and flesh removed.
1. Combine all batter ingredients in a bowl excluding the milk, gradually add the milk until the mixture resembles the consistency of crepe batter.
2. On a hot waffle cone pan, pour about 1 tbsp of batter into the centre and cook for about 2 minutes or until nearly golden, cut in half and role over a cone mould. Allow to cool.
3. For the filling combine the marscapone, capers and dill until well combined.
4. Gently fold in the fish and season to taste with salt and pepper and allow to set in the fridge for about an hour.
5. Scoop balls of the mix into the cones and top with a slender slice of preserved lemon skin.